Fire Hazard Reminder – Check Your Light Fixtures
- 13 August 2015
- Hailey Thomson
- Hits: 2991
Meaford, Ontario – August 13, 2015 – The Municipality of Meaford Fire Department would like to remind all Meaford residents that some light fixtures can pose a fire risk.
Incandescent light fixtures with exposed bulbs, like those often found in closets or other storage areas in homes or businesses, can reach from 2900 to 5000 Fahrenheit if they do not have proper surrounding airflow, setting nearby items on fire.
To avoid this potential hazard, never store flammable items like paper, cardboard or fabric against light fixtures. Make sure all light fixtures in your home have at least 12 inches of free space, and avoid using cotton strings that dangle against the fixture. Exposed incandescent bulbs should be avoided altogether in closets and storage areas, and lights should be switched off when the room is not in use. Remember to always check and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Some other household safety precautions you can take include:
- Checking cords for damage such a frays or nicks. An exposed wire can be a fire or shock hazard.
- Avoid running cords under rugs, which can damage cords and start a fire.
- Only use extension cords for temporary connections, and avoid linking extensions cords together.
- Make sure air conditioners and other heavy appliances are plugged directly into an outlet. If that is not possible, use 14 gauge, three-wire grounding-type appliance extension cords.
- Avoid overloading circuits with “octopus outlets”.
- Ensure all outlets near water are ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI’s).
- When replacing a fuse, make sure it is the right amperage.
Deputy Fire Chief
81 Stewart Street
Municipality of Meaford
519-538-1060 ext. 1600