Budget Directions Provided by Meaford Council
- 17 September 2015
- Hailey Thomson
- Hits: 4326
Meaford, Ontario – September 17, 2015 – At a council meeting on Monday, September 14, 2015 the Council of the Municipality of Meaford provided direction to municipal staff for the 2016 budget.
Council has directed staff to prepare a draft budget including an overall tax levy increase not to exceed 2%. This 2% will include:
- A 1% increase dedicated for roads capital funding under the State of the Infrastructure report’s “Preservation Model”
- A draft tax supported operating budget with an increase not to exceed 1%
Council also directed staff to budget any tax levy increases resulting from real assessment growth due to new development and building construction assessment into the General Infrastructure Reserve Fund for future capital projects.
Directions were also provided on other projects and allocations, including:
- Support for the Phase 1 application to the Small Communities Fund (SCF) for the installation of new sewer pipe, replacement of water main and reconstruction of asphalt road on Burton, Farrar and James Streets.
- Support for the Phase 1 application to the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund (OCIF) for the replacement and rehabilitation of sewer trunk, water main and reconstruction of asphalt road and boulevard features on Ivan Street, Sykes Street and Paul Street.
- The allocation of the OCIF formula based component towards road reconstruction costs.
- The allocation of $56,000 from the Short Term Disability Reserve to offset benefits plan premium increases in 2016.
The 2016 budget process will include three public engagement sessions where members of the public are invited to attend and take part in the budget process:
- Monday, November 9: 7 to 9pm at the Council Chambers
- Monday, November 16: 7 to 9pm at Annan Trinity United Church
- Monday, December 7: 7 to 9pm at Bognor Community Hall
Treasurer/Director of Financial Services & Infrastructure Management
21 Trowbridge Street West,
519-538-1060 ext. 1111