Application Process

Once you have submitted a complete application, it is reviewed by Building Department staff that will assess the application for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, Zoning By-laws and “Applicable Laws” that apply to that specific lot.

If we find errors, or need any further information, clarification, or corrections, you will be contacted through Cloudpermit. We recommend that you respond to the requests as soon as possible to avoid unnecessary delays in getting your Building Permit.

Once a full review of the application has been completed and the necessary approvals obtained, the Building Permit will be issued and can be printed through Cloudpermit. It must be posted in plain view on the construction site. You must keep the approved set (Site Copy) on site at all times.

Please read the permit documents thoroughly before starting construction. The construction must comply with the plans and documents issued with your permit.

Any changes to the approved construction drawings must be reported to and approved by the Chief Building Official. Contact us immediately if there are any changes to the construction plans. Depending on the degree of the change, a permit revision maybe required.

Once a Building Permit has been issued, it is your responsibility to ensure:

  • There are an approved set of legible construction drawings on site.
  • All setbacks, as approved for construction, are adhered to.
  • All Engineering, including footings, wall, floor and ceiling systems, engineered beams and lintels, roof trusses, etc. are submitted to the Building Department prior to the required inspection.
  • Inspections are scheduled and performed.
  • Deficiencies corrected if required.
  • Re-Inspections are scheduled and performed if required.
  • Ontario Building Code & all Applicable Laws are being respected.
Complete Application (Typical Items for new Dwelling)

The following items include the majority of items that are required for a complete application of a new dwelling, but are not limited to:

  • Complete Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish
  • Complete Schedule 1: Designer Information
  • Detailed Site Plan (drawn to scale and fully dimensioned-showing dimensions to the property lines, septic tank, septic bed, well, other structures on the property, overhead powerlines, easements, etc.)
  • Grading and Drainage Plan prepared by a Professional Engineer (if applicable)
  • Construction Drawings/Plans (floor plans, elevations, sections, details etc.)
  • Engineered Floor Systems & Engineered Roof Truss Drawings (if applicable)
  • All Engineered Specification (c/w seal and signature) (if applicable)
  • Compliance with other “Applicable Law” (e.g. Zoning, MDS, On-Site Sewage System Approval, NEC, Grey Sauble Conservation Authority, MTO, REA, Nutrient Management Act, Planning Act, etc.)
  • Heat Loss / HVAC Calculations
  • Energy Efficiency Design Summary
  • Applicable fees paid 
Application Types 

The types of work that require an application can be found below or in Cloudpermit when creating an application. These types of applications may encompass new construction, additions, alterations or repairs depending on the scope of work. Any questions related to these types of applications can be directed to the Development Services Office at 15 Trowbridge Street West, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

You may also be required to submit other pertinent information depending on the type of construction project you propose. A down payment (or full permit value) is required at time of application. This down payment is non-refundable if you withdraw the permit.


A Residential building includes the construction, alteration, addition to, or repair of a building used or that will be used for private human occupancy. This excludes hotels, motels, and other transient uses. Examples: single-family dwelling, mobile home, double duplex dwelling, semi-detached dwelling, townhouse dwelling or recreational dwelling (cottage).


A Demolition includes the demolition of a part of or an entire building.

On-Site Sewage Systems 

Sewage systems works include for example installation of a new septic system or repairs to an existing system and installation or repair of storm sewer, sanitary sewer and water service.

Accessory Structures 

An Accessory structure includes the construction, alteration, addition to, or repair of a building accessory to a principal building. Examples: deck, gazebo, porch, ramp or shed.


An agricultural building includes the construction, alteration, addition to, or repair of a building that is used for/will be used for the acquisition of stocks, preparation, planting, care and harvesting of crops or livestock. Examples: barn, greenhouse or manure storage.


Plumbing works include for example installing new plumbing fixtures or relocating existing plumbing fixtures.

Pool Enclosures 

Pools includes the construction of an above ground, in-ground, or below ground pool.

Change of Use 

Change of use is to change the way a building or a portion of a building is used, even if you’re not planning any construction.


A Commercial building includes the construction, alteration, addition to, or repair of a building that is used for commercial purposes. Examples: bakery, business office, drive-through restaurant, funeral home, gas bar or hotel.


An Institutional building includes the construction, alteration, addition to, or repair of a building used for the purposes such as hospitals, schools, libraries and other uses that fulfill a role related to healthcare, education, recreation, or more.


Miscellaneous includes the construction of a building used for purposes that do not meet the definition of any other category. Examples: communication tower, parking area, solar panel, tent or structural repair of existing buildings.


 A ground sign or pole sign exceeding 7.5 m (24.6 ft) in height above grade, a projecting sign weighing more than 22 kg (48.5 lb), a fascia sign exceeding 10 sq.m (108 sq.ft) in sign area, an animated sign, any sign greater than 10 sq.m (108 sq.ft) in sign area, an awning or canopy. 

Temporary Structures

A tent or a temporary sales pavilion.


Building Permit Fees

Minimum $200.00 non-refundable down payment to be paid upon submission of application.

Payment can be mailed or paid in the Development Services Office at 15 Trowbridge Street West, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Fee Breakdown will be provided by the Building Officials and must be paid in full prior to issuance of the permit.

Click here to view the 2023 Fees & Charges By-Law 

Development Charges

Certain types of development in the Municipality of Meaford may require the payment of Development Charges as well. You may be required to pay Development Charges for land development or redevelopment projects if you plan to:

  • Construct a new building
  • Make an addition or alteration to an existing building that increases the number of residential units or the non-residential gross floor area
  • Redevelop a property or make interior alterations that result in a change of use to all or part of a building

You may also need to pay Development Charges for the County of Grey. County Development Charges will only apply to new residential development.

Application Forms


Building Permit Application 


Schedule 1 Designer Information 


Plumbing Application 


On-Site Sewage Application 


EEDS (Prescriptive) 


EEDS (Performance)


Owner's Authorization 





Building Services Menu:

Building Permits


Plans Review


Lot Grading

Entrance Permits and Civic Addressing



phone iconContact Us