If you would like to have a controlled fire on your property, you need to apply for a burn permit.

The complete rules of the burn permit can be found in the Open Air Burn By-law.

Some of the rules include:

  • Having a minimum of .4 hectare (1 acre) of land
  • Burning clean and clear wood only
  • Supervising the fire at all times by someone 18 years old or older
  • Keeping an adequate means of extinguishment readily available
  • Ensuring the fire is at least 10 m (33 ft) from any structure, property line, fence, road, overhead wires or obstruction
  • Keeping No combustible material within 3 m (10 ft) of the fire

A burn permit is valid until December 31st of the year it is issued. Each time you have a controlled fire, you must contact the fire department to notify them.

Please complete a Open Air Burn Permit Application Form and submit it to fire@meaford.ca or by mail to 21 Trowbridge Street West, Meaford ON N4L 1A1.

Report a Concern

phone iconContact Us