Brush Burning Notification
Due to technical difficulties with our phone system, our voicemail box is not available. To notify the Meaford Fire Department as per the Open Air Burn Bylaw that you are having a controlled burn, please email

If you would like to have a controlled fire on your property, you need to apply for a burn permit.

The complete rules of the burn permit can be found in the Open Air Burn By-law.

Some of the rules include:

  • Having a minimum of .4 hectare (1 acre) of land
  • Burning clean and clear wood only
  • Supervising the fire at all times by someone 18 years old or older
  • Keeping an adequate means of extinguishment readily available
  • Ensuring the fire is at least 10 m (33 ft) from any structure, property line, fence, road, overhead wires or obstruction
  • Keeping No combustible material within 3 m (10 ft) of the fire

A burn permit is valid until December 31st of the year it is issued. Each time you have a controlled fire, you must contact the fire department at to notify them.

Please complete a Open Air Burn Permit Application Form and submit it to or by mail to 21 Trowbridge Street West, Meaford ON N4L 1A1.

Report a Concern

phone iconContact Us