We know you may have questions about Municipal services affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. See below a list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you don't see an answer to your question, please email us at info@meaford.ca.

How long will the Municipality of Meaford facilities be closed?
The Municipality has enacted its Municipal Emergency Control Group (MECG) which is made up of senior management and the Mayor. The MECG is being proactive and communicating with Council, Public Health, Grey County, and upper levels of government to share information, monitor and assess the situation. The safety of our staff and the public is our number one priority. Re-opening of our facilities will follow recommendations from Federal, Provincial and the Grey Bruce Health Unit indicating it is safe for our staff and the public to do so.
Will my garbage continue to be picked up during the Municipal closure?

Miller Waste Systems has confirmed that garbage collection will continue, following their regularly scheduled service.

In an effort to protect their staff and the public they have implemented enhanced procedures of cleaning and personal protection.

Should a service disruption arise, we will communicate that to the public. Please monitor Meaford.ca and sign up for the Meaford Waste App to stay updated.

Why do I still need to use bag tags? Where can I buy them?

Curbside pickup is proceeding as usual, and we are asking residents to put bag tags on garbage bags.

The cost of garbage collection is covered by residents either through bag tags or through taxes. To limit the impact on taxes at this time the Municipality is continuing with the use of bag tags. We are taking long term effects into consideration, and will continue to reevaluate as the situation changes.

Our bag tag vendors are still stocked and operating at this time. 

Retail outlets include:

  • Rockford Service Centre
  • Owen Sound Food Basics
  • Annan Post Office
  • Meaford Ultramar
  • Bill's Valu Mart
  • Circle K
  • Foodland Thornbury
  • Meaford Rexall
  • Zet Variety
  • IDA Pharmacy Meaford
  • Home Hardware (Both Locations - Rice's and Knights)
  • Meaford Convenience Plus
  • Meaford Convenience and Pet Stop

If you need help purchasing bag tags due to self-isolation, please reach out to a trusted friend or family member, or sign up at www.thedo.ca to be connected with a volunteer who can assist you. Remember to follow the social distancing guideline provide by Public Health.

If the Municipal Administration Office is closed, how do I pay my water/wastewater bill, or taxes?
Although we cannot work with you in person, we are still able to accept payments through other safe methods. You are encouraged where possible to pay your bills electronically through your banking provider. If you prefer to provide to pay by cheque, payments can be placed in the drop-box to the left side of the front doors at the Municipal Administration Office located at 21 Trowbridge Street West. Please note because of the current facility closures, there will be extended times in processing cheque payments.
If I am unable to make my water payment or my payment is not processed in time, will the Municipality charge interest or shut off my water?

The Municipality of Meaford recognizes that due to the closures caused by COVID-19, some members of our community may be experiencing unforeseen financial pressure.

With this in mind, the Municipality of Meaford will not be charging interest or penalties on water/wastewater or tax bills for the month of March, 2020. This period may be extended as the situation progresses. We will also not be conducting any water shutoffs at this time.

While the municipal administration office is closed to the public, bill payments can continue to be made through the following methods:

  • Online and telephone banking
  • In person at your financial institution
  • By cheque through the drop box to the left of the front door of the Administrative Office (21 Trowbridge Street West)
  • By mail
  • Online by Visa or Mastercard by visiting ipn.paymentus.com/otp/stde/mmfd
During the Municipal Facility closure and the disruption of non-essential services, how are staff wages being handled?

There have already been rumours that Municipal staff have been laid-off or are getting paid overtime. 

All full-time non-essential staff continue to be paid based on their regularly scheduled hours. All full-time essential services staff will be paid based on the actual hours worked. Crossing Guards will be paid their regular hours based on their scheduled shifts, and part-time and casual staff will paid based on the hours worked.

Municipal staff value the service they provide to our community. They continue to work where they are required and able. The Municipality is required to meet the Provincial and Federal directives which requires non-essential services that generate public gatherings such as library, recreation facilities, arts and culture, special events to be closed for the public's safety. 

We will continue to operate the following essential services:

  • Water/wastewater
  • Fire Services
  • Waste Management
  • Transportation Services
  • Cemetery services as required     

Many non-essential staff are also working remotely where possible and will try to continue to address inquiries via email or phone.

Our after-hours call centre is activated and can assist you 24 hours a day with animal control, water,  sewer or road emergencies. 

If you have a fire emergency please call 911.

If you require Cemetery Services please contact 519 538-1060 and leave a message in our general mailbox.

Why is Council not continuing to meet?

The Province has announced a state of emergency. Under their recommendations public gatherings greater than 50 are not permitted at this time to promote social distancing. As an additional safety measure all of the area Municipalities have made the decision to cancel Council and Committee meetings.

Council can reconvene where necessary at the direction of the CAO and the Mayor.

You can continue to stay in touch with all members of Council through the Council contacts.

If the Municipal facilities are closed why is construction still happening on the new Library building and Trowbridge Street Bridge?

In the Province’s announcement regarding a State of Emergency, they have identified that construction can continue. As the Municipality has construction projects already underway or just starting they can continue under the responsibility of the construction contractor.  

Should new restrictions be implemented in response to COVID-19 that disrupt progress on construction projects, all work sites will be secured following all applicable policies and standards. 

Are the Municipal parks open and safe to use?

Enjoying the outdoors is an important part of your health and wellbeing. The Municipal parks, open spaces and trails are open and available for your enjoyment when careful steps are taken to reduce you and your family’s risk of exposure to the Coronavirus Covid-19 and protect your health.

When visiting the parks, open spaces and trails maintain social distancing at all times to prevent the spread of the virus and remember to be diligent about your hygiene practices: www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca.

As the COVID-19 virus can survive outdoors in the current weather conditions, play structures have the potential of spreading germs from person to person. To control the spread of the virus we have closed our play structures. As weather conditions change, the Municipality will consult with Grey Bruce Public Health regarding how play structures can be made safe from COVID-19.

Please remember that this time of year many water courses can experience higher than normal water levels and fast flowing water that should be avoided by everyone, including the family pet. 

Who do I contact if I would like to volunteer, or if I am in need of assistance?

The United Way of Bruce Grey is using their resources and network to connect the many willing volunteers who have come forward with people in need. Simply sign up at www.thedo.ca if you would like to volunteer or are in need of assistance or supplies, and the United Way will coordinate the support. They are working closely with Public Health and existing community organizations to make sure our community is taken care of safely.

Thank you to United Way of Grey Bruce for working quickly to set up this program.

Sign up to Volunteer

Are there any guidelines around event planning?  

All organized public events of over fifty people are prohibited, including parades and events and communal services within places of worship. 

phone iconContact Us