Certain types of Development in the Municipality of Meaford may require the payment of Development Charges as well. You may be required to pay Development Charges for land development or redevelopment projects if you plan to:

  • Construct a new building
  • Make an addition or alteration to an existing building that increases the number of residential units or the non-residential gross floor area
  • Redevelop a property or make interior alterations that result in a change of use to all or part of a building

You may also need to pay Development Charges for the County of Grey. County Development Charges will only apply to new residential development.

Public Meeting

Monday February 1, 2021
6:30 p.m.
Meaford Hall, 12 Nelson Street East, Meaford

Please note that masks are required and social distancing procedures will be in place. The meeting will also be streamed live on the Municipal Youtube channel at www.meaford.ca/youtube. Please note that this meeting will take place virtually if the provincewide shutdown is extended.

See the draft Development Charges By-law by clicking on the button below.

Draft Development Charges By-law

Development Charges Review

The Development Charges Act, 1997 requires a municipality to review and update their Development Charges that fund development-related projects every five years. This ensures alignment of development charges with current growth projects and development-related capital plans in a municipality. Part of this process includes updating the by-law to reflect any provincial policy changes or regulations that would take precedence.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, an extension was granted by the Provincial Government’s COVID Support & Protection Act, 2020, which extended the life of the Municipality’s by-law. Now, the by-law is set to expire in early 2021, and an Interim Development Charges Study and by-law is proposed. The interim study and by-law propose to maintain the currently imposed rates until a fulsome study and by-law are completed in 2021. The interim Development Charge By-law will be available in January.

phone iconContact Us