Building Officials have begun to carry out inspections and issue building permits during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please email with inspection requests, noting the stage of construction/inspection type and property address, as well as the best means of contact (e.g. email, phone number).

  • Applicants are advised that starting some constructions projects continue to be limited based upon the Provincial Essential Workplace restrictions. Please confirm how these rules may apply to your project before starting work, following building permit issuance. 
  • Due to limitations associated with alternate and remote-working arrangements, usual timelines will not apply, though we will do our very best to issue permits in a timely manner.
  • Applications are to be made in hardcopy to the Administration office by mail, or using the mail drop slot. Payments must be submitted by cheque. Please connect with our staff before submitting your applications, to confirm applicable fees and any other complete application requirements.  
  • Rick Carefoot, Chief Building Official(CBO) ( and Tammy Dobie, Deputy CBO ( ) can be reached directly by email for ongoing files and inspection requests. General inquiries or inspection requests can be directed to
  • At the time of scheduling of inspections, staff will discuss safety measures and social distancing/site protocols. An inspection will only be carried out where the safety of staff can be ensured. For occupied buildings, this may require submitting alternate supporting materials such as photos or videos if a physical inspection cannot be safely carried out.

You need to get a building permit for any new construction, renovation, or repair to a structure. This allows our staff to make sure the work complies with the Ontario Building Code, as well as zoning and any other legislation that may apply to your property. Some examples of work that require a permit include:

  • Any new structures greater than 10 m²
  • Adding a carport, garage, deck, porch, room(s) or another story to an existing building
  • Adding structural features such as a balcony, dormer, enclosing a porch, window enlargement, wind turbine or solar panels
  • Excavating to construct a new or full basement under an existing house
  • Any structure containing plumbing (even those less than 10 m²)
  • Doing renovations or repairs, or undertaking structural changes
  • Replacing an existing deck, porch, or carport
  • Chimney construction
  • New or replacement plumbing
  • Retaining wall(s) exceeding 1m in height
  • Barns
  • Swimming pool and enclosures
  • And more!

For more information, see our Guide to Building. If you still aren't sure if your project requires a permit, contact us at or 519-538-1060 ext 1127.

Read the Ontario Building Code

Before You Get Started

During the preliminary planning stage of your project, you must determine the zoning by-law rules that apply to your property. Zoning by-laws regulate the use, size, location and types of structures permitted on all property in the Municipality. You can review the Zoning By-Law, or you can contact our Planners at or 519-538-1060 ext. 1119 to discuss your plans. Certain types of development (ie. commercial, industrial or multi-residential) may also require Site Plan Approval. Please contact the Planning Staff to determine if Site Plan Approval will be applicable to your project.

Other by-laws that may apply to your project include:

Civic Address

You will also need to have a civic address in order to be issued a building permit. If the project is a new build and you do not have an existing civic address, come to the administrative office at 21 Trowbridge Street West, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Our staff can complete the necessary paperwork to issue your property a civic address before you will be issued a building permit.

Other Approvals

Depending on the location of your property, you may require approvals from other agencies.


Heritage Conservation District
If your property falls within the Heritage Conservation District, you may require a Heritage Conservation Permit from the Municipality to complete your project. If you have any questions, please e-mail to learn more about Heritage Conservation Permits and guidelines.
Grey Sauble Conservation Authority 519-376-3076
Many properties within the Municipality of Meaford are - or have a portion of land - designated as environmentally protected (EP) or as regulated lands. Prior to a permit being issued from the Municipality of Meaford's Building Department, those lands designated as EP or regulated lands must first have a development permit or an exemption from the Grey Sauble Conservation Authority. Please contact Grey Sauble Conservation Authority for more details.
Niagara Escarpment Commission 519-599-3340
Many properties within the Municipality of Meaford are under the Niagara Escarpment Commission's regulations. Prior to the Municipality of Meaford's Building Department being able to issue a permit on those lands designated as NEC, a development permit or an exemption from the Niagara Escarpment Commission is required. Please contact the NEC for more information.  
County of Grey 519-376-7337
Those properties which abut a county road must first receive an entrance permit from the County of Grey or have a legally existing entrance prior to the issuance of a building permit from the Municipality of Meaford. For more information on County entrance permits and requirements, please contact the County of Grey. 
Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) 519-376-7350
Those properties which abut a provincial highway must first receive an entrance permit from the Ministry of Transportation or have a legally existing entrance prior to the issuance of a building permit from the Municipality of Meaford.
Those properties which abut a provincial highway or are within 600 feet of a highway must either receive a land use permit or an exemption from the MTO prior to the issuance of a building permit from the Municipality of Meaford. Please contact the MTO for more information. 
Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) 519-376-3860
Some situations require approval from the Ministry of Natural Resources prior to any development happening on certain land areas. To learn more on MNR approval and requirements, please contact the number listed above.  


 Permit Application Forms

Application forms are available below, or at the administrative office at 21 Trowbridge Street West, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

You may also be required to submit other pertinent information depending on the type of construction project you propose. A down payment (or full permit value) is required at time of application. This down payment is non refundable if you withdraw the permit.

 Permit Application Process

Once you have submitted a complete application, it is reviewed by Building Department staff that will assess the application for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, Zoning By-laws and “Applicable Laws” that apply to that specific lot.

If we find errors, or need any further information, clarification, or corrections, you will be contacted. We recommend that you respond to the requests as soon as possible to avoid unnecessary delays in getting your Building Permit.

Once a full review of the application has been completed and the necessary approvals obtained, the Building Permit will be issued and can be picked up. It must be posted in plain view on the construction site. You must keep the approved set (Site Copy) on site at all times.

Please read the permit documents thoroughly before starting construction. The construction must comply with the plans and documents issued with your permit.

Any changes to the approved construction drawings must be reported to and approved by the Chief Building Official. Contact us immediately if there are any changes to the construction plans. Depending on the degree of the change, a permit revision maybe required.

Once a Building Permit has been issued, it is your responsibility to ensure

  • All setbacks, as approved for construction, are adhered to.
  • All Engineering, including footings, wall, floor and ceiling systems, engineered beams and lintels, roof trusses etc are submitted to the Building Department prior to the required inspection.
  • Inspections are scheduled and performed.
  • Deficiencies corrected if required.
  • Re-Inspections are scheduled and performed if required.
  • Ontario Building Code & all Applicable Laws are being respected.
 Building Permit Fees

Building Permit fees are set each year as part of the budget process.

Residential Occupancy

Permit TypeFee
New Construction – Detached Dwelling, Attached Dwelling, Multi-Unit Buildings $1.23/ft2 ($1,100.00 minimum)
Residential Additions $1.23/ft2 ($200.00 minimum)
Renovations, Alterations and Repairs to existing buildings $0.88/ft2 ($150.00 minimum)
Residential buildings moved within or into the Municipality $125.00 plus permit fee
Decks, Porches, etc. to any dwelling unit (non-enclosed) $150.00
All Wood Burning Systems $200.00/flue
Swimming Pools (above ground or in-ground for residential use only) $160.00
Accessory to residential buildings including attached garage and built-in garage including carports $0.48/ft2 ($150.00 minimum)
Balcony guard replacement, balcony repairs, canopies, parking garage repairs, portable classrooms, repairs, underpinning and other construction not set out herein $8.58/$1,000 value ($150.00 minimum)

Institutional, Industrial, Commercial and Farming

Permit TypeFee
Institutional building – new or addition $1.41/ft2 ($1,200.00 minimum)
Institutional building – renovation $3.41/$1,000 value ($1,000.00 minimum)
Commercial – shell buildings $0.60/ft2 ($1,100.00 minimum)
Commercial – finished buildings $1.06/ft2 ($1,100.00 minimum)
Commercial – renovation $9.26/$1,000 value ($500.00 minimum)
Industrial – heavy & specialized buildings, warehouses, underground parking garages, industrial buildings, mezzanines, lightly serviced storage buildings $0.68/ft2 ($1,200.00 minimum)
Industrial – addition/renovation $3.61/$1,000 value ($500.00 minimum)
Farm – new farm buildings or additions $0.35/ft2 ($150.00 minimum)
Feed tanks, grain bins and tower/horizontal type silos $150.00
Manure storage $570.00


Permit TypeFee
New dwellings only $60/floor (including basement)
Alteration to existing plumbing or new plumbing to accessory building $60 plus $8.04/fixture
Site Servicing $4.48/$1,000 construction cost

Septic Systems

Permit TypeFee
New or Replacement – Class 2, 3, 4 or 5 System $650.00
Building Alteration / Change of Use Appraisal $300.00
Class 4 or 5 Tank Replacement / Pump Chamber $200.00
Septic Bed Replacement $500.00
Commenting Fee – Planning Application $125.00
Demolition / Decommission Permit $150.00
Permit Revision (prior to inspections) $50.00
Permit Renewal / 12 month extension $150.00

Public Pools and Spas

Permit TypeFee
Public Pool or Public Spa as an accessory structure to a residential building $250.00
Public Pool as a principal use $1,000.00
Public Spa as a principal use $250.00

Other Permits, Fees and Charges

Permit TypeFee
Demolition – buildings within the scope of Div. C of the Ontario Building Code $500.00
All other demolitions $150.00
Change of Use – no construction $160.00
Temporary Permit – not exceeding 14 days $65.00
Temporary Permit – exceeding 14 days $320.00
Conditional Permit Permit fee plus 10% (minimum $150.00)
Permit revision – major Full permit fee (minimum $150.00)
Permit revision – minor $100.00
Permit renewal / transfer $150.00
Renewable Energy Structure (not subject to an REA approval) $250.00
Renewable Energy Structure (subject to an REA approval)  $25.00/$1,000 value ($500.00 minimum)
Property Reports  $125.00
Septic Information  $25.00
Civic Addressing – signage required  $125.00
Civic Addressing – sign replacement  $75.00
Civic Addressing – no signage requirement, property not numbered  $25.00
Re-inspection fee  $125.00 plus mileage rate
Towers  $500.00
Tarp Type Structures (no livestock)  $0.12/ft2 ($125.00 minimum)
Reactivate dormant permit (over 12 months)  $150.00
Construction without a permit 10% of permit 6


  1. $200.00 (or full permit value) down payment required at time of application (non-refundable if permit is withdrawn by applicant).
  2. $1,000.00 Pre-Occupancy deposit for all new home construction (non-refundable if building is occupied prior to the Occupancy being granted by the Municipality of Meaford’s Building department) and refunded upon obtaining a final inspection.
  3. A $150.00 credit shall be applied to a new sewage permit application where a building alteration appraisal has required a new altered sewage system to be installed.
  4. Sewage Permit refunds:
    1. a. A minimum $75.00 shall be retained for any application that is withdrawn.
    2. b. An additional $125.00 shall be retained if a site visit was conducted.
    3. c. No fee is refunded once permit is issued.
  5. Grading deposit as per By-law 58-2010.
  6. Where work or construction has commenced prior to the issuance of a building permit, an administrative surcharge for the unlawful work equal to 10% of the required permit fee shall be paid in addition to the permit fee with a minimum surcharge of $50.00 and a maximum maximum surcharge of $2,000.00.
  7. Road Damage Deposit of $1,000.00 Refunded upon Municipal inspection and approval.
 Development Charges

Certain types of Development in the Municipality of Meaford may require the payment of Development Charges as well. You may be required to pay Development Charges for land development or redevelopment projects if you plan to:

  • Construct a new building
  • Make an addition or alteration to an existing building that increases the number of residential units or the non-residential gross floor area
  • Redevelop a property or make interior alterations that result in a change of use to all or part of a building

You may also need to pay Development Charges for the County of Grey. County Development Charges will only apply to new residential development.


Your permit may require one or more inspections by a Building Official.

To book your appointment, contact or 519-538-1060 ext 1127. Please provide 2 business days notice before your desired inspection date. Inspections are done on the eastern side of the Municipality on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and on the western side on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

phone iconContact Us